In the past year, Gigi Hadid accomplished a ton of amazing modeling milestones. She made her debut on the Victoria’s Secret catwalk. She was featured in Vogue too many times to count. And she nabbed a spot on every major runway show during Fashion Month. In just 21 years she’s learned more style savviness than most will learn in a lifetime. So in honor of the supermodel’s big 21st birthday, we’re looking back at the 21 times she served up the perfect fashion advice.
1. Get a BFF who is as obsessed with fashion as you are. Kendall Jenner is already taken, but requirements for your new BFF include: someone who has Vogue editors on speed dial to invite to your sleepovers and who is cool with swapping hair colors on the runway.
Photographer Group/Splash News Online
3. The only cool way to wear denim is with dinosaur-themed prints.
4. Or inside-out jeans.
5. “Vogue official” is the new “Facebook official.” (Zigi made their love High-Fashion serious with their steamy spread in Vogue‘s May 2016 issue.)
Mario Testino / Vogue
6. When you land the cover of French Vogue, wear nothing but Chanel 5 No., obviously.
7. When working on your first capsule collection, pair up with an American legacy, like designer Tommy Hilfiger. (She’s designing a Fall/Winter 2016 line with the brand and was named the label’s new Global Brand Ambassador.)
8. To be a top model you have to start young.
9. Take a wardrobe malfunction in stride by high-fiving the designer down the runway.
10. Never be afraid of posing naked. In her W magazine cover interview she told the publication, “I’ve never been scared of being naked in pictures, but I wouldn’t do naked for naked’s sake.”
Courtesy Gigi Hadid
11. Have friends in high places (a.k.a befriend Donatella Versace).
12. Never give up on your dreams — even if they are to walk in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.
13. Burgers are always a good idea. “Eat clean to stay fit, and eat a burger to stay sane,” she told PeopleStyle at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. (Now that’s a diet we can all get behind.)
14. Shut down Internet bullies with a strong Instagram message (like that time Gigi took on her haters and defended her curves after harsh critics shamed her Versace walk last September).
15. It’s cool to shop your mom’s closet
“I never bought a prom dress (and I went to prom all four years of high school), and I always wore my mom’s dresses, or shoes for that matter (we’re the same size),” Gigi told us last year.
16. Even if you have an unlimited supply of Victoria’s Secret bras, sometimes the best support is with your own two hands.
Ben Watts/Sports Illustrated Swim 2014
17. Only try a Joan Jett haircut when you have a buddy by your side.
18. Topknots and onesies will always be cool.
19. The best way to show the world you and your boyfriend are the ultimate hair couple? Star in a steamy music video together.
Zayn Malik Pillow Talk/YouTube
20. In the fall, remember that $1,990 Tom Ford purses make excellent totes to carry your pumpkin around in.
Courtesy Gigi Hadid; Inset: Getty
21. The best way to model a heavy under-boob swimsuit? Lean into it.
Yu Tsai/Sports Illustrated
RELATED PHOTOS: Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Are BFFs: Best Faceoff Friends
RELATED VIDEO: Gigi Hadid Reveals Which ‘Sports Illustrated’ Bikini Shot Zayn Loves Most!
What’s your favorite style moment from Hadid? Share with us in the comments below.
— Colleen Kratofil